Saturday, December 10, 2005

Blogging is good for my international math skills...

Tonight an old friend, Peter, was in town doing a choir conference for my parish (actually he's been doing it since Thursday). He was addressing the entire church after Vespers and he was giving us a history lesson that tied into the why's of Liturgical music just before he taught us all two new antiphons. As he gave this mini-history lesson he mentioned the length of the nave at Hagia Sophia and said that it's 70-80 metres long. Being that Peter is from Toronto this is excusable but being that his entire audience is American it's frustrating. I thought to myself, "Now how am I suppose to know now long 70-80 metres is?" And then I remembered Elizabeth's post and the comment section in which she mentioned a brief rule of thumb for doing conversions so I quickly did the math and figured it out. It was a rough estimate but at least it put me into the right ball park. Until then his whole point was lost on me!

Thanks y'all!

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

wow. u r better at math than me. i ve lived here in Canada for like going on 7 plus years and i still cannot do converstions like that...!! glad i helped though :)

MommaKim said...

If Peter is a friend of yours, you must be a fabulous person! If he is still in your midst please give him a huge hug from Kim and Fr Chris. We miss him terribly.

Stacy said...

I will see him today at Liturgy and then I'm taking him to lunch! Assuming that we are indeed speaking of the same Peter I agree with that to which you alluded... he is indeed fabulous! I will be happy to pass the greeting along. Giving Peter a hug on anyone's behalf is never a chore.

Wow... once again I'm reminded of what a small world Orthodoxy in the West is!

Fr. Justin (Edward) said...

1 meter = approx. 1 yard

Wow! Peter is really getting around these days! It was only a month or so ago that he was here in Vancouver... Glad you enjoyed his visit - but, then, who wouldn't!