Monday, April 10, 2006

A little Lenten Levity

I can never resist an opportunity for some alliteration-- must be all that Old English I read at U of T....
I give you this cheery little song from a member of the christian-fandom list:

"back in the early eighties an Episcopalian friend at work was
complaining that Christmas isn't the only Christian holiday that's been
commercialized. Easter has, too, with the emphasis on fashions, etc.
She said her favorite season is Lent because it's completely spiritual.

"Completely ignoring her real reason for liking Lent I wrote a filk,
putting new words to "Raindrops on Roses" from The Sound of Music.

Recently I sent them to a member of the Daughters of St. Paul whom I had known when we were membes of the same Catholic organization back in the seventies, before she entered the convent. She put them on her blog, adding a first verse since the original song has one verse, then the refrain:

Vigils and penance and prayers without number,
Though I feel cranky from my lack of slumber,
I want to get rid of all sin that still clings,
So these are a few of my favorite things:

Sackcloth and ashes, and days without eating,
Mortification and nights without sleeping,
A hair shirt that scratches, a nettle that stings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

When it's Christmas,
When the tree's lit,
When the cards are sent,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I can't wait till Lent.

--Marty Helgesen

---------------------------------------

I also love Marty's Lenten sig line:

Live Lent in the Fast Lane
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for those who scorn alliteration in preference of puns, check out this Lenten attire